Preparing for an Exhibition

Ones first exhibition can often seem like an anxiety inducing task; Presenting your work to the critical eye of both your peers and outsiders alike for possible critique being one of the hardest things an artist could do.

Preparing for the past exhibition was a lot more difficult than I thought it would be. I had never imagined just how meticulous it was, whether it be the scarily accurate measurements put into hanging things on the walls, to the set up and grueling procedures to format the room efficiently for the flow of attendees. It was definitely an eye-opener, and gave me a newfound respect for the work that artists put into more expansive exhibitions.

I did not experience much anxiety, most likely unlike my peers, when it came to actually presenting my work. I had the photos I wanted to use for it in mind since the day I took them, and I knew how I wanted them placed on the wall exactly. Having been in art classes my whole life, and having been part of several exhibitions of my own in high school, I already felt comfortable with the process of an exhibition.

I no longer felt fear about the criticism I may receive from others in regards to my work, as I have worked hard at learning that that criticism is not a direct attack on me, but coming from a place where one person wishes to see another succeed and do the best with their work. Being able to realize that and internalize the advice and criticism given has allowed me to grow as both an artist and a person, and I am grateful for the lessons that exhibitions teach.

I think everyone in life should experience an exhibition at some point in their life, as they are essential for both a source of growth and humility for everyone, artist or not.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned

Art is Pretty Wack, Whether that be Good or Bad is up to You

It’s None of My Business, But We Should Probably Modernize a Whole Bunch of Things Instead of Using Outdated Methods