Why I Do Explorers

Due to a series of unfortunate events this prior week, I was unable to attend the artist talk for Stephen Perkins. Instead, I was tasked with talking about something I am passionate about, and I chose to focus on my involvement in Police Explorers.

A badge for the explorers program

I will begin this by explaining just what police explorers are. Police explorers is a program offered by most police departments where officers, community service officers, and other advisors (sometimes detectives, forensics, fireman, or paramedics) take in kids ages 16-21 who are interested in pursuing law enforcement later in life and teach them the basics of what it is like to be an officer, as well as run them through the processes on how to do most of the jobs that the average officer may run into on an average tour of duty. This program can also be run in bigger cities as a way for at risk youth to have something to do that can keep them out of trouble and safe.

Some of the basic things that are often taught to the explorers in the post range from the police phonetic alphabet (which, as I surprisingly learned, is vastly different to the militaries version) to even some con-law content in regards to amendments that are vital for the police to know. The diverse range of content that you learn in the situations you run through while in the post allows for ample preparation for those who choose to pursue the academy following college graduation.

The police phonetic alphabet

I have been a part of the police explorers program for a few months now, having started in early December. While my involvement in the post was met with contention from my family, I have never had more fun doing anything than I have while learning and doing the things I have in the post.

I am often asked why I want to be a part of the post, and why I want to be a police officer, given the stigma surrounding them today. I always give the same reply; It is the young people that are in the program that are going to be able to help bring good change to the corrupt system, and that it cannot be done by one person alone. It is the combined effort of people that want to go in and actually help people who need help and keep people safe that is going to change the system for the better. It won't be a night and day issue, but it will slowly get better if we try, and I want to be a part of the movement to try and help change the police force for the better.

I am involved in explorers because I want to learn as much as I can before I have to take the further steps to get involved in the force. I want to be as knowledgeable as I can be so that I can keep myself and others safe, happy, and healthy.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Lessons Learned

Art is Pretty Wack, Whether that be Good or Bad is up to You

It’s None of My Business, But We Should Probably Modernize a Whole Bunch of Things Instead of Using Outdated Methods